(Redirected from SecuritySpin)
Fedora Security Spin
The Fedora Security Spin is a live media based on Fedora to provide a safe test environment for working on security auditing, forensics and penetration testing, coupled with all the Fedora Security features and tools.
- Owner(s): JT Pennington
- Quality Assurance: Athmane Madjoudj
- Former Owner(s): Luke Macken, Adam John Miller, Christoph Wickert, Hiemanshu Sharma, Joerg Simon, Fabian Affolter
The spin is maintained by a community of Security testers and developers. It comes with the clean and fast Xfce Desktop Environment and a customized menu to have all the instruments one may need to follow a proper test path on security testing or to rescue a broken system. With the read-write rootfs, it is possible to install software while the live media is running. The Fedora livemedia-creator provides an overlay feature to put the Fedora Security Lab on an USB stick so that the user can install and update software and can save his test results permanently.
Benefit to Fedora
- Covered by the above description
- A stable platform for teaching security along security classes in universities and organisations
- People learn about Fedora through these classes
- Showcase for security features and testing
- A tool set for proper security testing
- A complete repair/rescue system - with tools not contained on the other Live media to rescue your system
- Gather interested people to package new tools for this spin
- Cool marketing instrument and a story to tell
- There are industry partners who are interested to contribute
ISO Name / FS Label
- ISO name: Fedora-$release-$arch-LiveSecurity
- FS-Label: Fedora-$release-$arch-Security
Testing / QA
- Run basic spin testing
- Test installs from live media, test livemedia-creator
- Persistence of Security Menu after installations
- How do the available applications work?
- Current security lab applications test cases
- As of Fedora 16, Security Lab release validation test events are available.
Please track your checks on the relevant release in the Security Lab Testing category
Spins Page is set up https://labs.fedoraproject.org/security/