- My name is Sweta Yamini
- My email address is email@example.com
- My wiki username is Yamini
- My primary language is English
- Location, and what hours tend to work: Kharagpur, India. 8:00 to 23:00 GMT+5:30
About my Project
- Name : Kronikarz - A simple tool for desktop backup and recovery
- Project shortinfo - Summer Coding 2010 ideas - Kronikarz - shortinfo
- Summary of Idea: Handy graphical tool for archiving settings of applications. This tool will be useful for users who:
- want to simply backup / restore look-and-feel and settings of applications
- frequently migrate from one distribution to another
- have more then one device and want to sync settings
- The application(Kronikarz) will be like a plug-in engine. For each application that Kronikarz can support a backup, an XML hook-in file (plug-in) must be defined. The application reads the plug-in, and backs-up or restores accordingly.
- It will have a GUI for the user to specify what to backup, etc.
- It will have daemon to schedule backup and sync settings, also customizable with a UI.
- The backend does the main backup and restore functionality, installs missing packages using PackageKit for restore.
- The code will be written in Python and UI will be built with Qt.
- Easy to use intuitive UI, usable by users of all expertise.
- Easy search and select of applications to be backed-up, synced or restored.
- week 1 — matching of technical tasks, determination of participant's roles
- week 2 - week 4 — realization of backend with backup / restore functional
- week 5 - week 7 — realization of basic GUI-application
- week 8 — realization of service/daemon
- week 9 - week 10 — debugging
- week 11 — final testing, creation of rpm-package.
- I am a fourth year undergraduate student of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- I haven't contributed to open source before, and look at this as my first taste to open source development. However, I have done some projects as a part of my academic curriculum.
- A minimal processor. [Verilog] (as a group of 2)
- A compiler in C using Flex and Bison for a toy language.
- Simulation of a file system. [C++] (as a group of 2)
- HTTP server, client, proxy server, and DNS server. [C++] (as a group of 2)
- Chat server and client (as a group of 2)
- The code for the Chat Server and simulation of a file system can be found at http://github.com/NOLFXceptMe , my groupmate's.
- I am pretty confident about this project, and I think I can complete it.
Me and the community
- If your project is successfully completed, what will its impact be on the Fedora community?
- Users can backup and restore settings across different systems and distributions easily.
- Users can sync settings across different systems.
- What will you do if you get stuck on your project and your mentor isn't around?
- I will try to solve the problem myself, else I'll leave the problem for the time being and work on a different module until my mentor is available. If my mentor is away for an extended period of time, I will ask the Fedora community for suggestions and possible solutions.
- We want to make sure that you are prepared before the project starts
- Can you set up an appropriate development environment? - Yes
- Have you met your proposed mentor and members of the associated community? - Yes, I have met my mentor.
- What is your t-shirt size? - M
Use the Talk:Summer Coding 2010 student proposal application to actually make comment, which then appear here on the main proposal page. You can use this link to make a new comment].