Beg your pardon: The sf.net project of Dracut contains a single developer (Harald). Not exactly "cross distribution community", isn't it? So what's the value in dropping nash/mkinitrd?
- Going through git just in the last few days I see commits from David Dillow (no idea), Harald Hoyer (Fedora), Warren Togami (Fedora), Peter Jones (Fedora), Seewer Philippe (No idea either) and Victor Lowther (no idea) . Dracut is very active and has multiple developers. Looking at the mailing list I see posts by Kay Sievers (openSUSE). I would stay they are doing a good effort building a vibrant community and a project that has potential for buy in from multiple distributions.
User:jlaska - nash and mkinitrd are tightly coupled with the installer, should this be listed as a dependency? What changes are needed in that space to accommodate dracut?
Additionally, there are a fair number of requirements on the
mkinitrd package. Are changes required in any of the following packages that %require mkinitrd?
/bin/bash /bin/sh /sbin/insmod.static /sbin/losetup coreutils cpio device-mapper dhclient diffutils dmraid e2fsprogs >= 1.38-12 elfutils-libelf filesystem >= 2.1.0 fileutils findutils grep grubby = 6.0.86-2.fc11 gzip initscripts >= 8.63-1 isomd5sum kbd libselinux libsepol lvm2 >= 2.02.33-9 mdadm mktemp >= 1.5-5 mount nash = 6.0.86-2.fc11 plymouth >= 0.6.0-0.2008.09.10.1 rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 tar
User:jlaska - can you add more detail to the contingency plan around what steps would be expected if the sky fell and we need to roll-out the changes? Things I'm thinking are ...
- Would we need to build, tag and package
- Revert any related
- Revert any additional changes to dependent packages?
- Remove relevant release notes documentation?
How To Test?
User:jlaska - can you be more specific how someone can test this feature before and after the dracut package is included in rawhide? A good "how to test" should answer these four questions:
- What special hardware / data / etc. is needed (if any)?
- How do I prepare my system to test this feature? What packages need to be installed, config files edited, etc.?
- What specific actions do I perform to check that the feature is working like it's supposed to?
- What are the expected results of those actions?