Notes from Fedora Release Engineering meeting:
- Test plan is woefully lacking information, as well as a cut/paste job from another feature. Links to QA tests would be good since you seem to indicate that there are some known.
- Contingency plan should list all the places documentation about this spin should be removed in case we don't do it, so that we don't advertise a non-available spin.
- User Experience should probably substitute "matches" with "rivals" unless it's intended that XFCE will look like gnome, instead of being integrated with itself like gnome
- QA will update this page with thoughts.
Proposed applications changes
- xfbib: Bibtex editor for Xfce
- ristretto: the default image viewer of Xfce and should thus replace mirage
- xfmpc: mpc client for Xfce, not sure if we really need it on the livecd
- catfish: semi-official search tool of Xfce, frontend for find, locate and tracker.
- Pro: Easy to integrate into Thunar, Tracker is too overblown, works well (at least on i386)
- Con: Upstream development is stalled atm
- asounder as cd ripping tool, light and fits to xfce
- Better default keyboard theme: make multimedia actions like volume up/down work and include actions like print screen and print window via keyboard shortcuts by default.
- Include two alternative keyboard themes for GNOME and Windows users.
- gnome-screensaver instead of xscreensaver. While upstream prefers the latter we need gnome-screensaver for user switching. Won't pull in any additional packages on the livecd. Requires patching of the screensaver plugin in xfce-mcs-plugins.
- Faster startup. Disable splash screen and apply the patch from http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4312
- Include a fedora splash for those who like splash screens.
- Enhanced default panel config. Include places plugin and mailwatcher plugin. mailwatcher launches default mail-client
- Prefer pavucontrol over xfce4-mixer (affects xfce4-panel)
- Make sure claws-mail is the preferred mail-client on the livecd. Requires a small snipplet for ~/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc
- Make sure all menu entries have proper icons (fixed in Rawhide)
--Cwickert 00:11, 27 August 2008 (UTC)