- Please make sure to fill out all paragraphs. Currently "Screenshot" and "Download page are empty.
- What testing has done so war? I see there was a test day, but I cannot find any details about it.
- What ISOs were used? Please provide a download link.
- What tests were run?
Proposed changes to the ks
- The sed commands need to be part of the livesys initscript so they are only applied to the live system but not the installed packages.
- The files that are added to /etc/skel/.kde/share/config should probably be part of a package. I suggest to move kdeglobals, ksplashrc, and plasmarc to the fedora-jam-kde-theme package, given that they do not conflict with other packages.
- If they do conflict, you should move them to the initscript, too, but this would mean that we loose the custom artwork after installation. Here is my suggestion: You can overwrite the settings, but please make sure take the latest version of the original KDE settings, preserve all settings except the ones you need to overwrite. We must not loose a setting and should stick to the KDE settings as close as possible.
- The changes to FavoriteURLs are ok I think.
Size reductions - some philosophy and research
- This close to the release date and given the slip, I wonder if removing packages is a good idea.
- The ISO is about 1.5 GB at the moment. By contrast, Ubuntu Studio 12.04 is 2.1 GB and the Fedora 17 Scientific KDE spin is 2.5 GB!
- That said, I looked through the kickstart files and have a few ideas:
- Calligra - the kickstart files are loading the Calligra word processor, spreadsheet and presentation packages. I personally have never used Calligra and rarely use LibreOffice / OpenOffice. The "lightweight desktops" like LXDE tend to carry gnumeric and abiword, but unless there's a *need* for word processing or spreadsheets, I wouldn't even put those in.
- Games - the kickstart files are loading kdegames-minimal. I have no idea how much space that takes up, but if we're going to delete packages, that's a good place to start.
- The KDE kickstart files are removing Amarok in favor of Dragon. But we are putting Amarok back in. Yes, I know, it's a media creation spin, but do we need both Amarok and Dragon? Is there a lighter weight media player we can use instead? Would we be better off with a video editor like PiTiVi than a media player?
I can do a test run of my script with Amarok, Calligra and kdegames-minimal removed to see what happens. I expect Calligra is the biggie, followed by games and Amarok.
- I misread the kickstart files. Both Dragon Player and Amarok are in the original KDE kickstart files. It's "kaffeine" that's excluded, because it's superseded by Dragon Player.
- I did two builds, one with the Fedora Jam kickstart file straight out of Git and one with kdegames-minimal, calligra-words, calligra-sheets and calligra-stage excluded via "-" signs. The results was only 40 megabytes saved!
- Kickstart as found in Git
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1506803712 Dec 4 20:53 AlgoCompSynth.iso # whole file
- Without kdegames-minimal, calligra-words, calligra-sheets, calligra-stage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1465909248 Dec 4 21:57 AlgoCompSynth.iso
Maybe there are other packages that can be removed, but I doubt if it's worth it.
It's not about space saving
As I wrote in my mail, it's not so much about saving space but about focusing on the purpose of the Spin, and that is music. I think there is way more stuff that can be removed, IHMO there should only be programas for musicans and basics (browser, mail client, editor, calculator). But this is up to the spin owner and not to me. --Cwickert (talk) 19:37, 5 December 2012 (UTC)
Page is outdated
Is Fedora Jam spin still available. I found the wiki to be outdated and I couldn't download the iso from the webpage for Fedora labs. Could someone please update the fedora labs page to link to at least Fedora 22 Jam (with appropriate warning or message about EOL)
Page no longer outdated
I've been updating this page slowly as I have just taken the Jam lab under my wing. There will be more changes in the future. In regards to the page being outdated, there hasn't been a Jam release due to it falling out of ownership and the kickstart not being updated. I have since updated it and we should start seeing new builds in the future.