Page to keep track of Linux support development for Thinkpad X13s (SoC codename sc8280xp), the first Thinkpad with ARM CPU.
Most of following informations come from #aarch64-laptops on OFTC, #fedora-arm on Libera.chat and arm[AT]lists.fedoraproject.org. Upstream infos change on daily basis, so this page may be outdated, therefore read it with pinch of salt / cum grano salis.
Fedora developers are aiming for it being supportable/usable in time for Fedora 38, at some point before that, some consumable images will be released for testing.
A Linaro's Debian image is available at this link. It provides a decent user experience, despite missing audio and suspension capabilities. Power usage not yet optimized, so expect high battery drain
Some of work on the kernel can be seen in https://github.com/jhovold/linux repository, branches wip/sc8280xp
GPU hardware acceleration not yet available
Kernel side implementation at this link Userland code still to be implemented
Virtualization is not yet available. The UEFI is not yet exposing the EL2 (exception level) which is required to run VMs
As of the 6.5RC series, official rawhide will boot given the following changes:
Grub2 must have this patch applied https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2/pull-request/27Should be in rawhide now, assure grub2 >= 2.06-100
- The kernel must be booted with 'arm64.nopauth clk_ignore_unused pd_ignore_unused`
- A recent firmware must be on the machine, and the linux/DT mode must be selected in the FW menus.
- Recommend minimum version:
- Version: N3HET84W (1.56 )
- Release Date: 06/26/2023
- Recommend minimum version:
- A 6.5 device tree must be placed on the ESP of the internal NVMe disk and named sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb
- ex: /boot/efi/sc8280xp-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s.dtb
- USB boot is possible if qcom/sc8280xp/LENOVO/21BX/qcadsp8280.mbn is removed from the USB boot image
- And add_drivers+=" qrtr " is added during initrd build
- Otherwise leave it alone if booting from NVMe
- GPU firmware is provided in fedora as of kernel 6.5.3
Appropriate GPU firmware is placed in /lib/firmware/qcom/a660_sqe.fw, and /lib/firmware/qcom/a690_gmu.bin
- Due to the mainline nature of this kernel the following things may not work correctly:
- Battery monitor in gnome
- Proper USB-C charging negotiation, may result in slow charging, or battery drain while plugged in.
- Charging may not work at all though any number of USB-C hubs
- Make sure pd-mapper is installed to fix some of the more glaring problems.
- Keyboard rollover
- CPU cache size reporting
- Keyboard LEDs (depends on HW revision?, fn-f1 may enable the mute + capslock at which point both leds will be toggled by caps lock)
- External Displays
- efi variables
- USB device may drop offline following: arm-smmu 15000000.iommu: Unhandled context fault: fsr=0x402, iova=0xffffd081, fsynr=0x350013, cbfrsynra=0x563, cb=1
- Screen may blank for a few seconds during boot
- TPM support is missing
- USB may not run at superspeed+ rates.
- All the above subject to change as patches are merged, this list is approximately correct as of the middle of August 2023
- Try the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Thinkpad_X13s#Similar_pages link to get a few more things working.