|IRC channels:||#fedora-docs, #fedora, #fedora-join (and others)|
|Badges (Failed to decode JSON.)|
Who is this guy?
Hi, I'm Pete Travis. By day, I'm a Linux System Administrator doing enterprise support at Rackspace. When I'm not working, I'm probably either sleeping, eating, or engaged in Fedora-related activities.
Okay, but what does he do for Fedora?
I joined the docs group in October 2011, and was elected to lead that group in January 2013. I've been wrangling release notes for the last couple of releases, and contribute to existing guides, and am working on some new ones. I pitch in at ask.fedoraproject.org and in #fedora, when I know the answer, and monitor both to identify demand for documentation.
In terms of FAS groups, that is:
- This one's new. I'm fairly active in providing assitance and moderation to ask.fp.o, and now have started working on updating the relevant packages in epel and perhaps some upstream patches to improve askbot for out needs.
- Commit rights that allow publishing to *docs.fp.o*. Group admin + sponsor, site maintenance, etc.
- Commit rights for documentation sources. Sponsor, mentor, student.
- Membership group for Fedora Documentation Team. Team lead, sponsor, mentor, and catalyst.
- Fedorahosted sources for Fedora documentation branding
- Creation and administration of fedorahosted resources. Mostly I set up and maintain docs repos, but help out occasionally in other areas when I encounter them.
- Working on infrastructure to replace the behemoth git repo that feeds docs.fp.o. An interesting mix of a dedicated koji buildroot feeding a repo used via fedmsg triggers. Somewhat stalled on frontend work...
- Mostly for self-service with docs things, but feel free to ask for more if you're brave :)
- I try to keep up with all the infra stuff, it's very engaging work.
- I maintain a handful of packages of personal interest, and comaintain some of broader interest.
- cla_fpca, cla_done
- Of course, nearly everything I write is CC-BY-SA :)
- This one comes with *docs*, and probably some others. Lets one take assignment, reassign, more.
Why? It doesn't sound like this character uses Fedora for his dayjob!
Right now, I don't. I'd like to, or even a notable downstream derivative, and I put whatever time I have into learning. Most of my personal projects don't get past the proof-of-concept stage - I've spun up any number of blog platforms despite not having much to say, for example. I've recently developed the conviction that my meandering exploration of Fedora and linux in general should be productive, and I'm trying to study for an RHCE.
Well, does he have a dog?
Yes, I have a dog. My wife and I adopted her in 2008, and are fairly convinced she was bred specifically to extract crumbs from under couch cushions.
What if he didn't answer my question here?
Ask me somewhere else! I'm "randomuser" on freenode, immanetize AT fedoraproject.org, and or call if you happen to have a phone number.
Templates are fun :) Failed to decode JSON.