In order to allow users to monitor the behavior of their systems and to improve power consumption in general, several improvements were done for Fedora 11:
- Provide two new systemtap scripts to monitor disk and network activity of running applications
- Add a workload framework package called BLTK to offer reproducible tests
- Improved applications to reduce unnecessary disk and/or network activity
- Enabled several new features to save power:
- relatime option for root file system /
- Enable USB autosuspend for known working devices
- Add optional tuned service to dynamically adapt system settings to the current use
Users of Fedora 11 should therefore see a reduction in power usage of their system.
mdadm has been updated to 3.0. The significant change which justifies the new major version number is that mdadm can now handle metadata updates entirely in userspace. This allows mdadm to support metadata formats that the kernel knows nothing about.
Currently two such metadata formats are supported:
- DDF - The SNIA standard format.
- Intel Matrix - The metadata used by recent Intel ICH controllers.
Also the approach to device names has changed significantly.
All System Daemon Changes
75 packages, 17 changed, 58 unchanged.