|Rochester, NY, USA
|riecatnor on irc.libera.chat
My name is Marie Catherine Nordin and I am a:
- Fine artist
- Graphic designer
- Fedora Badge enthusiast
- Red Hatter
- Senior Community Architect
- Code of Conduct Specialist
I previously held the Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator role (November 2019 - October 2022). Nowadays, I am most active in the Fedora Design Team and focus my time on Fedora Badges & the Creative Freedom Summit. I live and work in Rochester, NY, with my partner, three cats (Ruby, Sapphire, & Sadie), and dog (Sienna).
History & Contributions
I first became involved with the Fedora Project in the fall of 2013 when I heard about Gnome's Outreachy Program. I applied to become a Fedora Badges intern and upon acceptance I participated in the seventh session of the program. During my internship I designed over 70 Fedora badges as well as the first version of the Fedora Badges Official Style Guide.
Over the past 8 years, I have continued to stay involved with the Fedora Badges project, taking a leadership role on the Design side of the Badges sub-project. I take volunteer time to triage, mentor, and hold workshops/hackfests for Fedora Badges.
I have also been involved in the Fedora Design team over the years, attending events, creating t-shirts, helping with logos, and various design related tasks. I have mentored four interns on Fedora Design related projects through the Outreachy Program.
Most recently I helped to establish the Creative Freedom Summit with other contributors from the Fedora Design and Marketing Teams. The Summit is a virtual conference dedicated solely to the features and benefits of Open Source creative tools.
Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator (2019-2022)
During my time as FCAIC, I focused on many projects and initiatives with the community, as well as community health maintenance. Some of which include:
- Development and implementation of a new Code of Conduct
- Development and execution of the first and second Fedora Contributor Annual Survey
- Transition from in person to virtual events due to COVID-19 including Release Parties, Social Hours, and Nest with Fedora
- Development and support of the Fedora Community Outreach Revamp Objective
- Lead the Mindshare Committee and participate on the Fedora Council
- Support and coordination for the Diversity & Inclusion Team including meetups, Fedora Women's Day 2020, and Fedora Week of Diversity 2021