I'm Juha Tuomala, also known as Tuju in irc. A finn living in Estonia. I have a home *domain* http://tuju.fi/ which is not a page atm. I know something about packaging, especially that it should be done in distro project, not where you use it - if possible.
I'm consultant and have couple companies providing services on Open Source area and networking.
Started using Linux at 1993, my distribution path was SLS, Slackware, Red Hat Linux, Fedora|RHEL. During the Great Desktop War at the second half of the -90's I was at KDE side and hence always felt bit outsider at Red Hat camp. Dropped Perl at -90's and been a Python and Qt happy user ever since.
I'm part of Fedora because I believe in RPM based systems. It's a good format and tools around it work. I've been using all kind of distros since SLS and even Fedora has its issues, it's not that changing a distro would help, it would be just changing those issues to other issues. And at the end of the day, Fedora's ideological policies (source of many grief) which often contradict with the reality and real life, pays off when it actually forces the surrounding to adapt themselves into those policies, not another way around. That's a good thing.
Also, the Fedora's fast update pace is painful but also pays off many ways, there is no denying it.
So, what areas are interesting in Fedora?
- KDE, user since 1997. Yeah, it rocks but 3->4 has been painful.
- PKI and OpenSC tools, I live in Estonia and am a finn, kind of explains it. PKI is not a bad evil thing, even you might think so. It might be distant and boring thing if you're not part of it.
- Fedora GIS - geographic tools.
- Postgresql (wrote my own ORM for Python that I use daily basis)
- Fedora HTPC - Home Theater system.
- LimeSDR support utilities (I have the hardware)
- Home Assistant
Yes, it's a server OS, nothing else. X Window System should be removed and put the focus to make the server components better if possible. I care about following:
- IRC and related
there are other topics too but doesn't pop into mind now, later perhaps.