"Something broke. How do I fix it?"
Tracing the source of the problem
First, gather information. You need to figure out what broke.
- Check bugzilla
- Check upstream trackers too!
- Check your log files
- See if you can reproduce the problem
- Get a backtrace
- Python backtraces
- Installing debuginfo
Finding the problem in the source
Getting the exact source of the package
- Packages you'll need installed
- Downloading the SRPM
- Using package CVS
Creating and testing patches
- Using gendiff
- Add the patch to the spec
- Rebuild the package
- Bump the dist tag
- Install the new package
- Attempt to reproduce the problem
Submitting the patch
- Be sure to mention which package version you used