Java Special Interest Group
A SIG for people who are interested in improving the state of Java in Fedora. This includes packaging Java libraries and applications, setting and improving standards for packaging them as RPM's and collaboratively managing bigger changes related to Java in Fedora.
- Tuesday at 17:00 UTC.
For more information about the past and upcoming meetings please see the meetings subpage: Java/Meetings
Not a meeting, but we'd love to have y'all at the Etherpad FAD, October 8-9th at Olin College (outside Boston)
State of Affairs
There have been few big updates and changes to core Java packages recently. Most notably update of Maven to version 2.2.1, rename of jakarta-commons packages to apache-commons (still underway) and most recently update of ant to 1.8.x. All of these changes were mostly organized through bugzilla and wiki pages. This worked out mostly OK, but this could be good place for all tasks related to Java so that everyone can quickly see what is going on.
If you would like to help us with packaging Java software, read how to join Fedora packagers or get in touch with us directly and we will guide you through the process.
Guidelines for building Java packages can be found on a separate page.
See Java packaging common problems page for help with common problems while building java packages and how to solve them.
- Create email alias for all java-packages
- Prepare for Maven3 (see MavenUpdate page)
- Update packaging guidelines (there are few drafts spread though wiki)
- Add ability to query java-only package reviews in BZ
- Look after Java and Eclipse release notes: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beats
- Update Java page. Some parts are quite outdated (for example maven part)
- Discuss strategies for completing Java packaging requirements for the AutoQA project (see User:Jlaska/autoqa_package_dependencies) - 2 packages ready for package review (htmlunit, htmlunit-core-js)
Currently Open Java Package Review Bugs
We generally like to get new Java packages into Fedora as long as they follow our packaging guidelines. Currently there is no simple way to query bugzilla for Java-only package reviews so people interested in java reviews have it a bit harder. Just go through all open package reviews or Java package reviews. The second link can be incomplete, but should contain mosly Java packages.
If you are interested in joining the SIG, just add yourself to this list. If you have provenpackager or sponsor status, please tell us so we might use your help in critical situations :-)
- Stanislav Ochotnicky
- Alexander Kurtakov (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Frank Murphy
- Levente Farkas
- Mat Booth (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Aditya Patawari
- Len DiMaggio
- Orion Poplawski (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Juan Rodriguez
- Eric Deering
- Gerard Braad
- Bozhidar Batsov
- Chris Spike
- Guido Grazioli
- Johannes Lips
- Mary Ellen Foster
- Maven 3
- Maven Tycho
- Maven Toolchain
- Eclipse WTP
- Apache Directory Studio for Eclipse - http://directory.apache.org/studio/
- Memory Analyzer Tool - http://www.eclipse.org/mat/
- Eclipse NSIS - http://eclipsensis.sourceforge.net/index.shtml