This is a Marketing retrospective generated using the Marketing retrospective SOP (sort of.)
This is the first Marketing retrospective in a fairly long time - the last complete one dates back to the F12 marketing retrospective.
Since the last retrospective, a lot of changes have happened in Marketing, particularly with the emergence of the Magazine as a primary source of readership for both contributors and users alike. The Magazine brings Fedora more exposure not only as a distribution but also as a trusted place for gaining information - this increases the trust between both Fedora and our users. --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
What did we do right?
- Fedora Magazine broke new records for views, especially near the release of a new version of Fedora. A major milestone we hit in November was 250,000 views in a single month, as noted on the mailing list. --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
- Total published posts by month, compared by year (2014, 2015): --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
- September: 29, 12
- October: 22, 17
- November: 20, 24
- December: 12, in progress
- From an inside view, it seems like the Magazine is growing in popularity and readership. --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
What can we do better?
- Marketing seems to have become synonymous with "Magazine". While the Magazine is great and definitely a central part of what Marketing does, it seems to have become the only thing that we do based on mailing list and IRC discussions. With the exception of a brief period right before the F23 release where release notes were focused on amongst a few other things in the Trac, it seems like other marketing activities have stalled off in recent times (it's also worth noting that my participation began in September, so I'm not that aware of things before that time). Since the Magazine has grown more since its conception, would it make sense to revive its own mailing list again? Will that separate the Magazine too much from Marketing? Or can it carry its own weight? I think this is a discussion we need to have. --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
- Can we come up with ways to make more low-hanging fruit for new contributors who want to contribute to Marketing but not necessarily the Magazine? This may also help resolve the above topic. --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
Where did we have gaps?
How do we bridge them?
Ideas and Wishlist for F24
- Greater communication and collaboration between Marketing, Ambassadors, and CommOps. I think all three of these groups have many mutual interests and it would be helpful to brainstorm better ways we can improve collaboration and communication between each other (this is something CommOps wishes to help with too). --Jflory7 (talk) 03:05, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
Improve this SOP!
If you see a way to improve this SOP, please go ahead and edit the page - you don't need to ask for anyone's permission. Read more about our contribution philosophy here.