- 1 Fedora Science and Technology SIG
Fedora Science and Technology SIG
The purpose of the Fedora Science and Technology SIG is to improve the number and quality of packages available for scientific and technical users.
- Mailing list: Fedora Scitech List
- #fedora-science on the freenode IRC network
- Dominik Mierzejewski
- Alex Lancaster
- Kevin Kofler
- Jerry James
- Noah Lee
- Adam Huffman
- Michael Ughetto
- Jussi Lehtola
- Alexander C.
- Yaakov Nemoy
- UsingMultipleMPIs - How to use lam and openmpi on the same system.
- SAGE packaging discussion
- MPI work:
- Use environment-modules to improve the "MPI alternatives" situation -- please see the proposal at the bottom of EdHill
- Make a Fedora-science spin.
Packages awaiting review
Add the FE-SCITECH blocker bug to any Science/Technology related review in Bugzilla. (Remember to remove it once the review is passed.)
- Asana Math font
- GAP - Computer algebra system - JasonTibbitts has a working and up-to-date GAP package, but it needs significant cleanup before it has a chance of passing review.
- Ideas of packages for bioinformatics base on bio-linux.
- ITK - Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit - software system to support the Visible Human Project
- SAGE Mathematica-like open source mathematics software ( SAGE packaging discussion )
- XPP - A tool for solving differential equations - Jason Tibbitts has a working package, but the program has such a poor interface that it may not be worth adding to the distro
- Neuron - A simulator of neurons and networks, useful for computational biology. Packages are available upstream; shouldn't be terribly hard to package properly but requires a truly ancient user interface toolkit.
List of applications we will NOT package
- Non-commercial clauses in applications licenses render them invalid for inclusion into Fedora Package Collection. Such apps are not Free and open source software and violates Clause 6 of the OSI definition. See an example of such clause:
This software may be copied and distributed for educational, research, and not for profit purposes provided that this copyright and statement are included in all such copies. Other copyrights may also apply.
|Name||Description||Why it won't be packaged|
|EMC2||Mesh generation utility||Non-Free license (verified by fedora-legal)|
|VMD||Molecular Visualization and Analysis Package||Non-Free license|
|fasta2 and fasta3||The FASTA programs find regions of local or global (new) similarity between Protein or DNA sequences||License contains non-commercial clause|
This category has only the following subcategory.