This is the main page for the 2015 Python 3 Porting FAD, which is a FAD (a mini-conference) focused on working on the missing packages, libraries and applications that are not ported to Python 3 but are relevant to the release of the Fedora operating system according to the PortingDB app.
Location and Date
- Location: Global
- Date: November 14-15
- Chat at the IRC channel #fedora-python (will be logged).
- Share ideas and information of packages on Etherpad.
- Join us on the video conference at opentokrtc.
One of the foundations of the Fedora Community is Features, which represents our commitment to excellence. Five years ago the Python 3 stack was added to Fedora with the hope that at some point Python 3 would replace Python 2. About two years ago an effort was begun to make Python 3 the default implementation. There has been great progress but it is not enough. Fedora has 2941 Python packages, which only the 32% have been ported to Python 3. This is the main premise that identifies the latent need to migrate packages, libraries and applications to Python 3. This is why we started this FAD. We are proposing two days where Python programmers and other members of the Fedora community can participate remotely in a virtual environment to migrate Python 2 packages to Python 3.
The main outcome of this FAD will be a reduced number of missing packages for porting.
Additional outcomes will be:
- Fedora project will be closer to implement Python 3 as default.
- Fedora community will offer lot of contributions to Python upstream.
- Fedora system tools will be able to switch to Python 3.
- Members of the Python SIG from LATAM, EMEA and NA will get in touch.
Points of Contact
- Knowledge of Python programming language.
- Experience porting Python 2 applications and libraries to Python 3.
|Abdel Martínez||Panama||Yes||Yes||Organizer + Developer|
|William Moreno Reyes||Nicaragua||Yes||Maybe|
It will part of the PyCon CZ 2015 as a sprint.
|Matej Stuchlik||Czech Republic||Yes||Yes||Organizer + Developer|
|Miro Hrončok||Czech Republic||No||Yes||Developer|
|Fabian Affolter||Switzerland||No||Yes||Developer & Packager|
|Slavek Kabrda||Czech Republic||Yes||Yes||Developer|
|Francesco Frassinelli||Italy||Yes||Yes||Developer & Packager|
|Till Maas||Germany||No||Yes||Developer & Provenpackager (remote)|
|Ralph Bean||USA||Yes||Yes||Organizer + Developer|
|Toshio Kuratomi||USA||Yes||Maybe||Developer + Packager|
|Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek||USA||Yes||Maybe||Developer + Packager|
|John Dulaney||USA||No||Yes||Developer + Packager|
Active participants will get this badge:
- Parselmouth: You can speak Python and helped with porting stuff to Python 3.
- Minutes: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-python/2015-11-14/python3-porting-vfad.2015-11-14-14.30.html
- Minutes (text): http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-python/2015-11-14/python3-porting-vfad.2015-11-14-14.30.txt
- Log: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-python/2015-11-14/python3-porting-vfad.2015-11-14-14.30.log.html
- Report Example by Nomen Nescio.