|Line 92:||Line 92:|
== Test Results ==
== Test Results ==
=== Issues that were identified ===
=== Issues that were identified ===
Revision as of 10:56, 19 August 2009
|2009-08-20||From 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am - 5pm EDT, 14:00 - 23:00 CET)||#fedora-qa (webirc)|
What to test?
Today's installment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Automated Bug Reporting Tool (ABRT). This tool should help non-power users with bug reporting, making it as easy as a few mouse clicks. ABRT is a daemon that watches for application crashes. When a crash occurs, it collects the crash data (core file, application's command line etc.) and takes action according to the type of application that crashed and according to the configuration in the abrt.conf configuration file. Bottom line: do not hunt the bugs with a pitchforks, rather use bugzappers/big light source to draw them from the dark and kill them easily at close range.
ABRT should be easy for users and very useful for developers and admins. Ease of crash/bug reporting and quick response from maintainers based on info from ABRT should make Fedora more stable and thus more attractive for users.
The following people will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion:
- Development - Zdenek Prikryl Jiri Moskovcak
- Quality Assurance - David Pravec, Kamil Páral, James Laska
What's needed to be able to test
- A system with some kind of network connection
- Fully updated Rawhide or Fedora 11 installation with ABRT installed or special ABRT TestDay Live image (i686 or x86_64)
How to install ABRT
If you do not use the provided LiveCD, but you use your own Fedora 11 or Rawhide installation, you need to install latest ABRT packages by running following commands:
First add correct repository:
- Fedora 11:
# wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/abrt.repo http://jmoskovc.fedorapeople.org/abrt.repo
# wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/abrt-rawhide.repo http://jmoskovc.fedorapeople.org/abrt-rawhide.repo
Now remove kerneloops and install/update ABRT:
su yum erase kerneloops yum install abrt-desktop reboot
Please do not forget to reboot. It's needed after installing ABRT. For post-update problems consult Known issues section.
Optionally, you may download a non-destructive rawhide live image for your architecture with latest ABRT pre-installed. Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD. For Fedora on USB flash disk consult FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo.
How to test
Follow each of following Category:ABRT_Test_Cases and report your findings in the tables below.
- QA:Testcase_ABRT - default crash report
- QA:Testcase_ABRT_Logger - Logger plugin
- QA:Testcase_ABRT_Bugzilla - Bugzilla plugin
- QA:Testcase_ABRT_Mailx - Mailx plugin
- QA:TestCase ABRT BlackList - package blacklist
- QA:Testcase ABRT GPG check - reporting crashes of signed packages only
- QA:TestCase ABRT GPG Keys - additional keys for signing packages
- QA:Testcase ABRT Actions and Reporters - testing of action/reporting plugins
- QA:Testcase ABRT Cron - periodical plugins using Cron
- QA:Testcase ABRT Plugins - configuring plugins
Consult list of active tickets before reporting an issue. The most common issues are listed below:
- Applet (or other icons) in notification area is not visible - that's a known bug in Rawhide, please try to run
killall notification-area-appletand reload it a few times, it may help
- Recreate report for same crash - if you want to recreate a report of same crash, you have to delete it using button in GUI and make a crash gain
- Nothing happened? - if it seems to do nothing, try to disable PGP checking and restart daemon
- Graphical warnings - gui writes some gtk warnings (it's gtk's fault)
- rpm %requires - it needs rpm >= 4.7.0-1
- bug-buddy or other crash catching tools might take precedence over ABRT if you are using them. ABRT will catch only crashes which are not catched by other tools.
- Cannot catch OpenOffice.org, KDE and Java - these applications have a built-in method for capturing failures so it is the same as with BugBuddy etc.
- if you're updating from version <= 0.0.5-6 - make sure you remove /var/abrt/cache/abrt-db (we've changed the db format and not yet implemented automatic updating mechanism)
- GUI doesn't inform you about success of failure of a reporting. - But you can find results in ABRT's db (default path /var/cache/abrt, it is sqlite3 db, table name is "abrt") - it should be fixed, but in case it's not try to look for these files
Can this be switched to old bugs-found format, please? Looks to me easier to fill with data.
Issues that were identified
|QA:Testcase_ABRT||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT_Logger||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT_Bugzilla||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT_Mailx||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT_BlackList||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT_GPG check||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT GPG Keys||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT Actions and Reporters||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT Cron||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
|QA:Testcase_ABRT Plugins||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
Things that work alright
|QA:Testcase_ABRT||User:FasUser||Brief description of what was done|