|Fedora Test Days|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Power Management
The following cast of characters will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Jaroslav Škarvada (jskarvad) / PowerManagement SIG
- Quality Assurance - Jan Ščotka (jscotka)
Note: jskarvad will be available at least during 10:00 - 22:00 (UTC+2) on #fedora-test-day, #fedora-power, #fedora-devel, otherwise he will be on e-mail with non guaranteed response time. He will be also available on site in Red Hat Brno Office at least during 13:00 - 19:00.
Prerequisite for Test Day
- PM Test Day LiveCD 20120404-1-i686 (md5sum:72f4d13fe18f7fc8ce7ba4d8f6fdc85d) or PM Test Day LiveCD 20120404-1-x86_64 (md5sum:16cac224a03a4467756360cedf6d655f) or an updated Fedora 17 pre-release or you may get nightly composed LiveCD.
- It is possible to convert the LiveCD into LiveUSB by following the How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB instructions. If you convert the LiveCD into LiveUSB it is recommended to create on USB another primary partition that will serve as swap. This is useful for pm-hibernate test case.
- If you attend the event on-site in Red Hat Brno office, there will be prepared bootable USB flash disks, thus you only need to bring your hardware there.
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
- Optional: account on fedoraproject.org if you plan to upload the pm-utils bugreport file. If you do not have one and you do not plan to get it, you can still attend the test day - there are instructions in the appropriate test case(s) bellow how to handle such situation.
In the following text commands that needs to be run as root are prefixed by #, e.g.:
means to run id command under the root account. Commands prefixed by $ do not need to be run under the root account.
How to test?
It is focused especially on suspend, hibernate, power-consumption, LCD brightness control and our new tuned. Some test cases are only for laptop users and it is signalled in test case description field. If you do not have laptop just skip them. You can also skip other test cases (e.g. if you do not have enough time). In this case just leave the columns for skipped test cases blank. Please note that your report will be still valuable even if you do not finish all test cases. The procedure:
- Run test cases bellow.
- Report results to the result table.
Prepare your system
- Install the public key (in case you would like to verify the PM Test Day support package, otherwise you can skip this step because the public key will be installed automatically with the PM Test Day support package in the next step):
# rpm --import http://jskarvad.fedorapeople.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-pm-test-day
- Install the PM Test Day support package by:
# yum install http://jskarvad.fedorapeople.org/pm-test-day-repo/pm-test-day-3-1.fc17.noarch.rpm
- This procedure will also install the public key which will be then used for verification of packages from the PM Test Day repo.
Finally make sure you have all current updates (and temporal fixes) installed by:
# yum update
Known Bugs / Workarounds
Currently there is a bug in software rendering used by Gnome 3 that affects several users (mostly on older hardware):
- RHBZ #808710 - llvmpipe driver doesn't render correctly on Dell Inspiron Mini 10
If you are affected by this bug and your desktop graphics is broken, try to switch to gnome-fallback mode by:
- Press Alt + F2
- Write gnome-terminal and confirm with Enter.
- Run the following commands in the terminal:
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'gnome-fallback'
$ pkill gnome
|Testcase||Description||Target||Approx. time required|
|pm-suspend||Tests suspend / resume via pm-utils.||All||2 minutes|
|pm-hibernate||Tests hibernate / resume via pm-utils.||All||2 minutes|
|pm-bugreport||Tests pm-utils bug-reporting functionality.||All||2 minutes|
|pm-powersave||Tests detection of AC / battery (upower functionality) and pm-powersave reactions to power source changes (pm-utils).||Laptops||1 minutes|
|Lid close||Tests system reaction to lid close.||Laptops||1 minutes|
|Backlight control||Tests LCD backlight control.||Laptops||1 minute|
|Tuned||Tests tuned-adm (tuned) basic functionality.||All||5 minutes|
|Tuned disabled idle||Measures power consumption of machine in active idle with tuned disabled.||Laptops or users with wattmeter||15 minutes|
|Tuned powersave idle||Measures power consumption of machine in active idle with tuned laptop-battery-powersave profile.||Laptops or users with wattmeter||15 minutes|
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla usually for the component pm-utils, or tuned. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line. bugreport.txt will be generated by test case pm-bugreport, instructions for uploading are included in this test case. The bugreport.txt gives us valuable information about your HW / SW configuration and debug log of your last suspend / hibernate process.
|pm-suspendr||pm-hibernate||pm-bugreport||pm-powersave||Lid close||Backlight control||Tuned||Tuned disabled idle||Tuned powersave idle||References|
|Sample User||Sample Machine||4.800 Wh||4.710 Wh|
|Sagitter||Acer Aspire 6930G||5.987 Wh||in progress|
|Pavol Celuch||HP Compaq 6730b||4.170 Wh (12.053 V)||4.171 Wh (12.090 V)|
|mkrizek||[TBD]||7.385 Wh (12.330 V)||8.341 Wh (12.340 V)|
|cashm||ACER Aspire 5830TG||3.722 Wh||3.643 Wh|
|User: Rmarko||Lenovo X200||2.940 Wh|
|tomxi||ASUS N53SV||6.589 Wh||6.721 Wh|
|jpospisi||ThinkPad T420s||4.451 Wh||4.302 Wh|
|Jozef Celuch||Asus U80V||4.800 Wh||4.710 Wh|
|Dee'Kej||ThinkPad T420||4.800 Wh||4.710 Wh|
|kvolny||Lenovo B570e||(skipped - no AC)||(skipped - run out of battery)|