|Fedora Test Days|
|KDE Plasma Workspaces|
|Mail • Subscribe • Archives|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on KDE Plasma Workspaces
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Lukáš Tinkl (ltinkl), Rex Dieter (rdieter), Jaroslav Řezník (jreznik), Kevin Kofler (Kevin_Kofler)
- Quality Assurance - Martin Holec (Martix), Vítězslav Humpa (vhumpa), Adam Williamson (adamw)
Prerequisite for Test Day
- An updated Fedora 17 pre-release, Rawhide (tips on installing Rawhide below), or a nightly live image
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
Also helpful, if you have or can get them:
- Additional displays (monitors, TVs...) for testing multihead setup
- Wi-fi/bluetooth enabled networking devices
- Graphics adapters, virtual machines, or driver configurations not capable of compositing
How to test?
Boot latest Fedora 17 into KDE 4.8 Plasma Workspaces.
You may download a non-destructive pre-Fedora 17 live image for your architecture. Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD.
|[http:// x86_64]|| |
|[http:// i386]|| |
Using the live image is the easiest way to participate in testing for most people, but alternatively you can:
Update your machine to Fedora 17
If you are already running or want to try the pre-release of Fedora 17, install Fedora 17 Alpha and then update to the latest packages.
Please perform as many of the test cases listed as you have the time and the resources to complete, and fill out your results in the table below. You do not need a Fedora account to fill in the table.
Here's a rough list of proposed test cases/areas:
Basic desktop usage:
- QA:Testcase KDE4 Desktop Effects (by default)
- QA:Testcase KDE4 Theming (KDM/KSplashX/Plasma-desktop)
- GDM integration
- QA:Testcase KDE4 Session management
- QA:Testcase KDE4 Applets/Plasmoids
- QA:Testcase KDE4 Bluetooth
- QA:Testcase KDE4 NM applet
- QA:Testcase KDE4 device notifier applet
- Volume applet (kmix)
- QA:Testcase KDE4 battery applet
- working sound in Phonon, esp. with regards to the PA and GStreamer integration
- "root" modules in System Settings (due to pk1)
As well as running the formal test cases, you can help simply by running KDE 4 Plasma Workspaces and reporting any problems you come across in the course of your typical usage of desktop, even if this does not match up with any of the test cases. If you are unsure to what any discovered problem relates, please check in #fedora-test-day before you file a bug.
If you have problems with any of the tests, try and report a bug. Bugs clearly related to KDE Plasma Workspaces and it's rendering should be reported to KDE Bugzilla. Bugs that are clearly issues in Fedora KDE integration should be reported to Fedora Bugzilla. If you are unsure, please report into Fedora Bugzilla or ask on #fedora-test-day or #fedora-qa. You will need an account to report bugs, but creating one is easy, and we will help you do this if you ask in IRC.
If you are not sure of the appropriate component), please check in IRC before filing, there are many possibilities. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you.
Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. If you are running Fedora in VM, please, at least state the name of VM hypervisor(kvm/VirtualBox...). However uploading Smolt profile is useful even for VMs. For each test case, use the result template to describe your result, following the examples in the Sample user row.
|User||Smolt Profile||Sample test 1||Sample test 2||Sample test 3||Sample test 4||References|