Final Elvis Move
- Name: Dimitris Glezos
- Wiki Name: DimitrisGlezos
- Fedora Account Name: glezos
- Group: Fedora Localization Project
- Infrastructure Sponsor: MikeMcGrath
- Infrastructure Secondary:
Secondary Contact info
- Name: Karsten Wade
- Wiki Name: KarstenWade
- Fedora Account Name: kwade
- Group: Fedora Documentation Project
- Project Name: Moving projects that Fedora is upstream from the elvis server to Fedora Infrastructure (final push)
- Announcement: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-February/msg00001.html
- Target Audience: Fedora developers, translators
- Expiration Date (required): 20 February 2008
File:L10N FedoraModulesMove Elvis presley.jpg
We see a general consensus that the Fedora-specific services hosted on the elvis (CVS of Fedora-as-upstream packages, L10N), should be moved over to Fedora infrastructure. This allows us to better maintain them, hook them up with the Fedora Account System, increase their functionality, and lower the barrier for contributions to packages hosted there. Also, in addition to CVS, we can host projects on various SCMs like SVN, Mercurial, git, or bzr.
See below for a list of the modules to be moved.
- The Fedora Project has an explicit goal of moving all software development related activities externally of Red Hat. The code contained on elvis.redhat.com/i18n.redhat.com is not community accessible. CVS access to the project source is only available to Red Hat employees. In order to expose this source to the community for direct contribution along with the rest of distribution source. Moving the translation is a requirement of Fedora engineering. They will not run their project with PO files contained in a different CVS requiring a synchronization.
- Fedora Documentation requires PO files to be on the same CVS. The project has experienced with previous releases and manually moving/syncing PO/POT files across SCMs and cannot continue in this practice, for the same reasons as the source code. In addition, dozens of translators have sought and obtained 'cvsdocs' access so they can translate directly in the Fedora SCM; Fedora Documentation wants to deliver a cleaner experience with ACLs directly for the
po/directory in each document and the Web UI hooks.
- The Fedora Account System (FAS) has the mandate to provide authentication for all Fedora infrastructure. By merging i18n.redhat.com users into FAS, the L10N community gains exponential benefits. The number of accounts in the FAS is likely to double, which is a great boon to the Fedora Project.
- Clear accountability for L10N infrastructure. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult to find out who exactly is running i18n.redhat.com and how to get changes made there. Red Hat has not exposed an external resource to handle that, beyond basic l10n needs. Fedora Infrastructure is a professionally run organization of volunteers who have revitalized Fedora systems over the last nine months, and have proven their ability to handle the complexity.
- Standardized systems help Fedora grow. The current L10N CVS and Web UI are outside of the system, understanding, processes, and methodologies of the rest of Fedora infrastructure. There are many benefits to be gained for the community and the project by bringing these systems in.
- Integrating a L10N system with FAS brings it one step closer to
fedorahosted.org. Translators can use the same account for all projects hosted there, even if it requires them to use a different SCM.
Project plan (detailed)
- 1/2 Fri: DimitrisGlezos start thread on fedora-devel-list .
- Also, a personal email to all maintainers with a link to the thread, in case someone has missed it.
- 8/2 Fri: Send another personal email to maintainers that haven't filled in the information needed. And a third one on in the week.
- 18/2 Mon: Send a mass-email to all translators who contributed through elvis about the move in a week.
- Have a wiki page prepared with help on how to create Fedora accounts .
- 18/2 Mon: Infra will copy the requested modules to the new SCMs.
- The team will be available on its mailing list and on #fedora-admin to help with anything needed.
- DimitrisGlezos will update Transifex to include these modules. All modules should have the "transif" user added to their group.
- Other L10n admins will update translate.fpo statistics with the move.
- 19/2 Tue: AnkitPatel will delete modules from elvis and add some README files that explain where the modules have been moved.
- DimitrisGlezos will send status report on -devel and -trans lists.
- Projects hosted on
cvs.fedoraproject.orgcan receive translations directly. Others will use Transifex (already in production) for the translation submissions. Again, access to Transifex will be given by default, if you don't want to accept translations, please note it.
- The Fedora Localization Project will drop support for projects hosted on non-Fedora servers. References to elvis will be removed shortly after the move. Projects deciding to stay on elvis can still receive translations through Transifex, just like any other independent upstream project.
Specific resources needed
- Setup of new modules on a variety of SCMs (expected modules moving: 25).
- Most developers are expected to use SVN or git.
- Some projects might request Trac.
Projects to be moved (#projects)
|authconfig||Tomas Mraz (tmraz)||hg||yes|
|chkconfig||Bill Nottingham (notting)||git||no|
|initscripts||Bill Nottingham (notting)||git||no|
|kexec-tools||Neil Horman (nhorman)||Needs addition to translation stats|
|libuser||Miloslav Trmac (mitr)||hg||yes|
|libvirt||Daniel Veillard (veillard)||cvs|
|Linux-PAM||Tomas Mraz (tmraz)||hg||yes||rename to pam-po as this will contain only pot+po files for translations, real upstream is elsewhere|
|mailcap||Miroslav Lichvar (mlichvar)||git||no|
|newt||Miroslav Lichvar (mlichvar)||git||yes|
|oddjob||Nalin Somabhai Dahyabhai (nalin)||git||no|
|pam-redhat||Tomas Mraz (tmraz)||hg||yes||Conversion Failed - mmcgrath|
|pam_krb5||Nalin Somabhai Dahyabhai (nalin)||git||no|
|password||Tomas Mraz (tmraz)||hg||yes||rename to passwd|
|pkinit-nss||Nalin Somabhai Dahyabhai (nalin)||git||no|
|policycoreutils||Daniel J Walsh (dwalsh)|
|redhat-backgrounds||Needs addition to translation stats|
|redhat-config-boot||Harald Hoyer (harald)||git||Convert to git failed - mmcgrath|
|redhat-config-cluster||Jim Parsons (jparsons)||Needs addition to translation stats|
|redhat-config-keyboard||Lubomir Kundrak (lkundrak)|
|redhat-config-language||Lingning Zhang (lizhang)|
|redhat-config-mouse||(may be dead)||Needs addition to translation stats|
|redhat-config-securitylevel||Thomas Woerner (twoerner)||git||no||rename to system-config-securitylevel|
|redhat-config-soundcard||Martin Stransky (stransky)|
|redhat-menus||Ray Strode (rstrode)|
|rhgb||Ray Strode (rstrode)||git||no|
|setuptool||Nalin Somabhai Dahyabhai (nalin)||git||no|
|specspo||Stepan Kasal (kasal)||cvs||no|
|splatbind||Nalin Somabhai Dahyabhai (nalin)||git||no|
|switchdesk||Than Ngo (than)||cvs|
|Ondrej Dvoracek (odvorace)|
|system-config-firewall||Thomas Woerner (twoerner)||git||yes|
|system-config-kdump||David Lehman (dlehman)||Needs addition to translation stats|
|system-config-lvm||Jim Parsons (jparsons)|
|system-switch-mail||Than Ngo (than)||cvs|
|tmpwatch||Miloslav Trmac (mitr)||hg||yes|
|usermode||Miloslav Trmac (mitr)||hg||yes|
See below for VCS roots, web front-end URLs, etc.
Other projects info
Not be moved because they already exist on fedorahosted
The following should be probably deleted from elvis, if the development process is now being done on FH. Make sure any commits (eg. translations) done on elvis and not on the new servers are copied before deletion.
- redhat-config-netboot (OK for deletion from owner)
- system-config-bind (OK for deletion from owner)
- timeconfig (no PO files)
Not to be moved because they are dead
- redhat-artwork (dead, been split into lots of other packages already on hosted)
- Anonymous: :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/elvis
- Eponymous: :ext:email@example.com:/cvs/elvis
- Web: http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/modulename?root=elvis
- Anonymous: http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/modulename
- Eponymous: svn+ssh://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/modulename
- Web: http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/modulename
- Anonymous: http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/modulename
- Eponymous: ssh://hg.fedorahosted.org//hg/modulename
- Web: http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/modulename
- Anonymous: git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/modulename.git
- Eponymous: git+ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/modulename.git
- Web: http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=modulename.git
Move progress/TODO (#progress)
(to be filled mainly during the move)