GHC 8.6 and Stackage LTS 13
Update Haskell packages from GHC 8.4 to 8.6 and from Stackage LTS 12 to 13 package versions.
- Name: Jens Petersen
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Name: Haskell SIG
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2019-08-12
- Tracker bug: #1739975
- Release notes tracker: #373
The Haskell ghc compiler will be updated to 8.6.5 (rebase from the ghc:8.6 module stream) and package version will be updated to current Stackage LTS 13 versions. There will also be some packaging improvements (doc and profiling subpackages).
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora 31 will have the current stable GHC version (8.6.1 was originally released last Sept), and packages will be updated to more recent version from the Stackage LTS 13 set. The new subpackaging will allow smaller footprint Haskell development installations without being forced to install docs and profiling library that take up a lot of space and downloading.
- Proposal owners:
- rebase ghc to 8.6.5
- update ghc-rpm-macros and cabal-rpm to allows doc and prof subpackaging
- refresh packaging to latest cabal-rpm
- update packages to latest Stackage LTS 13 versions
- build everything in a Koji f31-ghc sidetag repo (95% done)
- When finished all builds will be pushed by releng to Rawhide before branching
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: #8549 (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- There may be a minor revision later to update the Haskell Packaging Guidelines
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Upgrades of Haskell packages should work fine. Users will then recompile their code with the latest compiler and libraries.
How To Test
- dnf install ghc
- dnf install ghc ghc-doc
- dnf install ghc ghc-prof
- install ghc and cabal-install
- install pandoc, ShellCheck, git-annex
- install ghc-*-devel or ghc-*-prof or ghc-*-doc
- cabal-rpm builddep <favouritepackage>; cabal install <favouritepackage>
Users will be happy to have the latest stable major version of GHC and Haskell packages available to them, and benefit from the improvements and new compiler features it provides.
Non really: hedgewars rebuild will be tested.
- Contingency mechanism: revert and ship the same package versions as F30
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks product? no