Haskell GHC 8.10.7 & Stackage LTS 18.28
The GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from minor version 8.10.5 to 8.10.7, and Haskell packages will be updated to Stackage LTS 18.28 minor versions.
- Name: Jens Petersen
- Email: email@example.com
- Name: Haskell SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 37
- Last updated: 2022-08-04
For Fedora 37, the GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from version 8.10.5 to 8.10.7 release (rebasing from the ghc8.10 package). Along with this, Haskell packages in Stackage (the stable Haskell source package distribution) will be updated to the final LTS 18.28 minor release. Haskell packages not in Stackage will be updated to the latest appropriate version in the upstream Hackage package repository.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora users will have a newer more stable Haskell compiler, tools, and current Haskell packages from final Stackage LTS 18.
GHC 8.10.7 contains some important bug fixes (see the release notes linked in the Documentation section for more details).
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: no actions should be needed
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
There should not be any significant upgrade impact, except that ghc-8.10.7 conflicts with ghc8.10: users should remove ghc8.10 from their system before upgrading.
Users' Haskell projects will get built with ghc-8.10.7 when they next build: 8.10.7 should be quite compatible with 8.10.5.
How To Test
- install ghc and cabal-install
- install pandoc, ShellCheck, ghcid, git-annex, hadolint, stack, xmonad
- install ghc-*-devel or ghc-*-prof or ghc-*-doc
- cabal-rpm builddep <favouritepackage>; cabal install <favouritepackage>
- test upgrades of F36 Haskell packages to F37
Users will have the newer stable minor version of ghc and Haskell libraries and tools available to them. This makes it easier to build the recent versions of Haskell projects.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?)
- Change owner can revert back to the versions in F36.
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
The Haskell GHC compiler has been updated from 8.10.5 to 8.10.7 with some important bugfixes.