Haskell GHC 9.2 & Stackage LTS 20
The GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from major version 8.10 to 9.2, and Haskell packages will be updated from Stackage LTS 18 to LTS 20 versions.
- Name: Jens Petersen
- Email: email@example.com
- Name: Haskell SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 38
- Last updated: 2023-03-01
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #2783
- Tracker bug: #2080355
- Release notes tracker: #827
For Fedora 38, the GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from version 8.10.7 to the latest stable 9.2.6 release (rebasing from the ghc9.2 package). Along with this, Haskell packages in Stackage (the stable Haskell source package distribution) will be updated from the versions in LTS 18 to latest LTS 20 release. Haskell packages not in Stackage will be updated to the latest appropriate version in the upstream Hackage package repository.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora users will have the latest stable Haskell compiler release, package tools, and current Haskell packages from Stackage LTS.
GHC 9.2 is the current recommended version of GHC 9 and features performance improvements (particularly for aarch64 (new Native Code Generator) and s390x (llvm backend enabled with the new Hadrian build system), new language extension features (in particular Linear types support), and bugfixes (see the release notes linked in the Documentation section for more details).
- Proposal owners:
- update ghc8.10 is build against itself and use bundled libffi [done]
- update ghc9.0 is build against itself [done]
- rebase ghc to 9.2.6 [done]
- update ghc-rpm-macros to the final version for F38 [done]
- refresh packagings with the latest cabal-rpm release [done]
- update packages to latest Stackage LTS 20 versions using cabal-rpm [updated to lts-20.8]
- build all the packages in a Koji sidetag repo in dependency order using fbrnch [done in f38-build-side-62436]
- push the sidetag through Bodhi (update)
- Other developers: no actions should be needed
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
Any dropped packages will have obsoletes added. Otherwise there should not be any direct upgrade impact.
Users' Haskell projects will get built with ghc-9.2 when they next build them and might need some minor code tweaks.
How To Test
- install ghc and cabal-install
- install pandoc, ShellCheck, ghcid, git-annex, hadolint, stack, xmonad
- install ghc-*-devel or ghc-*-prof or ghc-*-doc
- cabal-rpm builddep <favouritepackage>; cabal install <favouritepackage>
- test upgrades of F37 Haskell packages to F38
Users will have the most recent stable major version of
ghc and Haskell libraries and tools available to them.
This makes it easier to build the latest versions of Haskell projects.
cabal-install will also be updated from 3.2 to 3.6.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?)
- Change owner will drop the new builds and revert back to the versions in F37
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
The Haskell GHC compiler has been updated from 8.10.7 to 9.2.6 with many improvements.