Rebase to KDE 4.3 and offers new features such Phonon Gstreamer back end as the default
- KDE SIG
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- IRC: #fedora-kde
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2009-08-18
- Percentage of completion: 100%
We are going to rebase KDE to 4.3 version.
New features overview
- KDE 4.3
- new default theme, Air
- improved job and notification management
- fully configurable keyboard shortcuts
- new and improved Plasma widgets
- faster Systemsettings with an optional treeview
- new effects like "Sheet" and "Slide Back" and better performance in KWin
- Solid integration in KGpg
- Ark supports LZMA/XZ
- improved contact list in Kopete
- new Bug Report Tool
- KDELirc, a frontend for the Linux Infrared Remote Control system (LIRC)
- Continue work on Fedora branding effort
Benefit to Fedora
KDE is popular, feature rich and stable desktop environment used by lot of Fedora users.
Requires rebasing to the latest upstream version and preparing distribution specific patches.
How To Test
- yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
- set KDE as default environment + KDM
- login to KDE desktop
or use Fedora KDE Desktop spin
What should be checked (KDE):
- distribution integration - phonon-backend-gstreamer
- custom branding changes (KDM theme, KSplash theme, artwork) - for Preview Release
We are working on test plan for KDE QA.
Modern, feature rich and stable desktop environment.
Depends on upstream KDE 4.3 release, see .
Custom Fedora branding depends on Fedora Artwork team!
Given how the KDE 4.3 and Fedora 12 schedules align, there should be plenty of buffer time between the KDE 4.3 and Fedora 12 releases. We are already working on importing and polishing beta version of KDE. In case of problems with upstream release we can revert to older release or we can omit individual problematic modules of this feature. KDE 4.3 could be later shipped as an update.
The Fedora KDE Destop User Guide is very important part of this feature for users. It guides users how-to use the new KDE 4 Desktop and it's targeted to both former KDE 3.5 user and first time KDE 4 users.
Upstream documentation sites:
This release features KDE 4.3.
KDE 4.3 is the latest release of KDE 4. There are a lot of enhancements and new features. Plasma has a new Air look, improved job and notification management and fully configurable keyboard shortcuts. There are also new Plasma widgets and existing ones are improved. KWin is optimized for performance and brings new desktop effects to KDE. KDE now contains a new bug reporting tool, making it easier to report bugs to the KDE developers. The GStreamer Phonon backend is now the default one.
Comments and Discussion