English Typing Booster is a predictive input method for the ibus platform. It predicts complete words based on partial input. One can then simply select the desired word from a list of suggestions and improve one's typing speed and spelling.
- Name: Anish Patil, Pravin Satpute
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-02-23
- Percentage of completion: 100%
The goal is to provide an efficient completing input method that will assist users while typing text.
Boost: Within few keystrokes user gets the desire word within the list. It saves user's typing and makes typing faster. e.g For typing word "wordnet", it requires three 6 key strokes. With Typing Booster it requires only three keystrokes.
Easiness: No need to learn new method or technology. User can add/delete new words into the user dictionary. New words will get added automatically.
Accuracy: Since the suggestions come from a validated word dictionary database, the selected words always give 100% accurate spelling. Note: correctly the present generated database is from unreviewed web data, in the long term with community help, they can be reviewed and the correctness checked as per standard. Also infrequent words which may be mis-spellings can be filtered easily from the dictionaries.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will get a new input method for English language, which will enhance the text creation process, and end users will be able to type more accurately and faster with this input method. English typing booster offers features such as, prediction of words (auto-completion), suggestions of words if the user misspells: suggestions are by frequency of use.
This feature will give Fedora users a interesting, more modern input experience.
- Develop initial version of ibus-european-table. [done]
- Submit package for review and build. [done]
- Create dictionary tables from stardict-dic-en for English. [done]
- Package English language database for Fedora. [done]
- Test in rawhide and updates-testing. [in progress]
- Fix bugs reported
- Add additional databases for some other European languages.
How To Test
- Addition/installation of input method
- sudo yum install english-typing-booster ibus-european-table -y
- Run im-chooser (Input method selector) and select ibus
- Right click on desktop panel's ibus icon -> select preference -> click on input method
- Choose English typing booster from English language submenu
- Testing the appication
- Open any text creation application
- Click on ibus icon and select English typing booster to start english-typing-booster
Enjoy! and report any bugs or suggestions!
Users have a new predictive input method which allows them to write in English with completion. It is particularly convenient for typing longer unfamiliar words. Boost in typing process with accurate spellings.
- No other packages depend on this.
- Upstream is maintained by feature owner
As these are new input methods, no contingency plans necessary.
- English typing booster is a predictive text input method for English language. It enhances user typing experience.