WiCHacks Hackathon, 2017
- Saturday, February 25th and Sunday, February 26th, 2017
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- 1 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623-5603
- Google Maps: Rochester Institute of Technology
- Air to Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC)
WiCHacks is an annual, all-female hackathon event at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Top female collegiate computer science students from around the country flock to RIT for a weekend of programming and contest. They create things, solve practical problems, compete for prizes, and interact with sponsors. Last year, there were close to 200-300 people in attendance.
Google's definition of a hackathon: An event, typically lasting several days, in which a large number of people meet to engage in collaborative computer programming.
While Fedora has not attended the event, a Fedora Ambassador has as a volunteer at the previous year's event. You can read his personal event report for more information and details.
Why attend this event? RIT is a school known for its participation in open source and is one of the only schools in the country to have a Free and Open Source Software minor. At this event, there will likely be more than two hundred female students from around the country who are passionate and interested in programming or development. This is a great opportunity for Fedora to focus on outreach to a traditionally underrepresented demographic in computing and open source. This is also a great opportunity for Fedora to make an impact at a university level, following along with the University Involvement Initiative set forth by the Fedora Council.
Justin W. Flory is a student at RIT and can help support the event coordination and planning (but will not be able to attend the actual event).
- Charles Profitt (local)
Deadline to confirm participation: 2016-01-12
- Remember to create this for 2017 (things like a Google Drive form would be helpful)
An event schedule has not yet been published. Check back soon!
February 25 - Saturday
February 26 - Sunday
Ideas / Brainstorming
- 2017 Sponsorship information booklet
- Mentors welcome and encouraged (if you can code, there are ways for you to help represent Fedora as a knowledgeable programmer)
- Working on coordinating an open source category would be awesome
- Can bring in key female contributors from the project remotely for a tech talk or other talk topic
- Would Red Hat be interested in sponsoring this event with Fedora?
|Sponsorship||TBD||Trac Ticket, 2017 Sponsorship information booklet|
|Shipping costs||~$30||Estimated costs based from last year's BrickHack 2016 cost|
|Prize funds||TBD||Would be for prizes related to the Open Source category|
|Swag, media, flyers||TBD|
Travel Subsidy Requests