This will be a social event to meet other Fedora users and people curious about Fedora from Novi Sad and Serbia in general, and check out the cool features of the new Fedora 25 release. It will also serve as an opportunity for people to find out what Fedora and free software in general is all about and ask questions of people already involved in the community. It is also a opportunity for students of Department of Mathematics and Informatics of Faculty of Science in Novi Sad to learn about Fedora and open-source principles and how can they get involved with FOSS/Fedora.
Sunday, 11 December 2016 12:00 PM.
Amphitheater A1 (Mihajlo Pupin)
Department of Mathematics and Informatics
Faculty of Sciences
University of Novi Sad
Trg Dositeja Obradovića 3
21000 Novi Sad
Important note - application
- Installation media (CD/USB) should be available to those that would like to get Fedora or upgrade to Fedora 25.
- A couple of presentations
- Quiz with Fedora awards!
- Socializing with other Fedora enthusiasts over lunch and snacks.
- Q & A session
- Field trip to the new Fedora powered classroom - https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-computer-lab-university/
dr Danijela Tešendić, associate professor at the Faculty of Sciences
Doni Pracner, teaching assistant at the Faculty of Sciences
Ambassadors at the event
- 12:00-12:15 - Welcome to Fedora 25 Release Party in Novi Sad!
- 12:15-12:45 - What is Fedora and what's new in Fedora 25? - N. Milošević
- Introduction to Fedora, a modern Linux distribution with an overview of the things that make Fedora stand out. The four foundations. Small introduction to contributing to Fedora's development. What's new and different in Fedora 25 - the latest Fedora release. How to upgrade to F25 and where and who to ask for help.
- 12:45-13:15 - Getting started with Fedora - D. Tešendić
- Introduction to new Fedora users and some general tips and tricks for new Fedora users. Alternatives to popular proprietary software and where to find them. Detailed 'How to?' setup dual-boot with other operating systems with partitioning and installing Fedora from USB or Live DVD media.
- 13:15-14:00 - Lunch Break
- 14:00-14:30 - Is Open Source Reason Enough to Trust the Code? - D. Pracner
- Even when the source code is known the resulting binary can have some unknown and potentially malicious side effects. The question is who can we trust in the complex chain of software we run every day and how to solve this "chicken and egg" problem.
- 14:30-15:00 - Fedora Quiz - N. Sukur
- Fedora/Linux/FOSS-related quiz with Fedora awards!
- 14:30-14:45 - Coffee Break
- 14:45-15:15 - Hackerspace - Tilda Center Novi Sad - G. Mekić
- What are hackerspaces, what is hacking, who are hackers and what do you do in a hackerspace? Overview of activities in Tilda Center - electronics, programming, web development...
- 15:15 - Quiz results & awards, Fedora Live Media creation, Fedora Installations, Visit to the Fedora-powered Classroom
- Report 1 (nmilosev): https://nmilosev.svbtle.com/fedora-25-release-party-novi-sad
- Report 2 (Sylvia): https://crossingtheair.wordpress.com/2016/12/14/release-party-f25
- Album 1 (Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/pg/tildacenter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1900364730194466
- Album 2 (imgur): http://imgur.com/a/iqdxZ