Heterogeneous Computing Special Interest Group
To encourage the packaging and accessibility of heterogeneous computing projects in Fedora and EPEL. This includes machine learning, OpenCL, and scientific computing.
- Jeremy Newton (ROCm related)
- Felix Schwarz (currently busy with certbot, borgbackup, WeasyPrint)
- Benson Muite
- Morgan Hough (Intel related while testing SODECL on Intel NUCs)
- Tom Rix (CUDA, OpenCL, Vulkan Compute, Misc)
Please add your name above if you want to help.
- Package and make HC related projects more accessible to users (such as OpenCL, AMD's ROCm HIP, Intel oneAPI, SYCL, Vulkan, OpenGL, etc.)
- Document installation, packages, and general use cases
- Translation of wiki pages and documentation (if applicable)
AMD's ROCm (OpenCL/HIP)
Below is a list of ROCm packages with their status. If something isn't packaged in Fedora or EPEL, feel free to take it!
This reference might be helpful for those attempting to package: https://gist.github.com/cgmb/edb7b790ab55681fb2ba5385ee02489b
The ROCm packages in Fedora are built for all 64bit little endian systems (x86_64, arm64, ppc64le), but official support is for x86_64.
Most products starting with vega 10 (Radeon RX Vega) should work without configuration, but any pre-vega HW, such as the RX 400's or 500's, will require setting (note this is no longer required for rocm-opencl-5.2.1-2 or later):
To enable access to GPU resources for non-root users, the users must be added to the
render group. The AMD ROCm Installation Guide (v5.2) and FAQs recommend the
video group for all ROCm-supported operating systems.
To add the current user to the
sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME
To check for ROCm support of the running HW, you can install and run
sudo dnf install rocminfo rocminfo
ROCm OpenCL can be installed with (Fedora 36, EPEL8, and EPEL9 are currently in testing):
sudo dnf install rocm-opencl
clinfo can be installed to verify it is working, e.g.:
sudo dnf install rocm-clinfo rocm-clinfo
Some experimental builds exist here (use at your own risk): https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mystro256/rocm-hip/
TODO: incomplete, take me!