|2009-08-18||From 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am -> 5pm EDT)||#fedora-fit-and-finish)|
What to test?
The topic of this Fedora Test Day will be printing. We are interesting in the problems you face when using Fedora to print anything, be it an office document, a web page, a photo, or your memoirs.
Prerequisites for Test Day
- A printer. Or many printers...
- A good mood. Remember; while we are poking into things that may make us angry or frustrated, we are doing it to make things better
- An up-to-date rawhide installation. See the instructions on the Rawhide page on the various ways in which you can install or update to Rawhide. If that feels too risky to you, we also have recent rawhide live images available that allow you to participate without risking your existing installation. Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD.
Note that these images are too large to fit on a CD. You will need to burn them to a DVD or convert them to USB images to work with them. We are working to get the image size reduced for future test days.
(as you can see, there is something odd going on here with the i686 spin that blows up its size, but I couldn't figure out what it is)
Finally, if you don't have a rawhide installation and don't want to download an iso, your input will still be valuable if it is based on F11.
How to test
In this test day, we look for the small and large issues that make us want to tear our hair out whenever something needs to be printed.
Tim pointed out that you may have to do these tests with SELinux in permissive mode, due to some issues with the current SELinux policies.
Here are some things to look at:
- Use a new printer for the first time
- Reconnect a printer you have used before
- Use a network printer
- Complicated printing tasks: duplex, n-up, special paper, ...
- Problems: paper jam, low ink, ...
Issues that were identified
|mclasen||SElinux enforcing breaks cups-pk-helper||#517528||FIXED|
|mclasen||new printer - delayed bubble||#518007||FIXED|
|mclasen||wrong action used when releasing a held job||#518012||FIXED|
|mclasen||print to file uses wrong icon||#592220||FIXED|
|mclasen||indicate printer status in the icons||#518020||FIXED|
|twaugh||jobs not cancelled properly||#518026||FIXED|
|twaugh||missing simplified native gutenprint drivers||#518030||FIXED|
|tpelka||Printer test page wrong upper margin||#518031||CLOSED|
|twaugh||driver preference order needs tweaking for gutenprint||#518045||FIXED|
|mclasen||print preview for complex jobs||#347569, #550329|
|ykopkova||s-c-p hangs verifying ipp queue||#518065||FIXED|
|mclasen||status indication in the job list and elsewhere||#518070||FIXED|
Things that work alright
|ykopkova||Printing Network Printer; Printing Complex|
|twaugh||Out of paper bubble notification|
|mclasen||Status indication in print dialog|
|mclasen||Reconnecting a printer|
|mclasen||Duplex, n-up, etc. with print-to-file|
|mclasen||Status indication in the notification area|