- 1 Fedora Ambassador Day EMEA 2008
Fedora Ambassador Day EMEA 2008
The FAD 2008 is an event intended to plan the ambassadors' activities in 2009 and to have some fun together.
- Friday, 2008-11-14 to Sunday, 2008-11-16
- Detailed schedule
- City: Basel, Switzerland
- Airport: EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg (BSL)
- Train station: Basel SBB or Basel Badischer Bahnhof (Basel Bad Bf)
Basel was chosen by MaxSpevack and SandroMathys after weighing various options, including travel distance and time for people all over Europe.
Ride Sharing / Car Pooling
People who drive to the FAD by car or get to the airport by car and have some free seats available are asked to help others to get to the FAD. Please add below how many seats you have available, where you start the journey and where you could possibly pick up folks.
|Driver||Seats available||Starting point||Destination||Possible pick up points|
|Henrik Heigl||1-2||Pirmasens||Basel||all the lane down, Flughafen ZW, maybe France, Maybe with Jens Kühnel (not confirmed yet)|
|Joerg Simon||3||Stuttgart||Basel||Stuttgart, Strasbourg, and so on|
|Peter Reuschlein||3||Stuttgart||Basel||TBB, Stuttgart|
People who'd like to join one of the drivers above, please ask the driver if he's still got a free seat and where he could pick you up. If you both agree on the terms (e.g. time, location, cost sharing, etc.) add yourself to the list below in order for other people to see which driver still has free seats available.
|Driver||Passenger||Pick up point|
|Joerg Simon||Robert Scheck||Stuttgart|
|Peter Reuschlein||Marco Ziesing||Stuttgart|
- Sandro Mathys (Responsible for the FAD; Contact him for ALL questions, remarks and rants)
- Andreas Rau (Responsible for Friday afternoon's get together in a bar)
- MaxSpevack (Responsible for the budget)
Please fill in your details ASAP. Contact Sandro Mathys if you have questions.
|#||FAS Name &
|1||Sandro Mathys||yes||yes||Friday, 18:00
|after end||no||yes||100% Flexible with travel times|
|2||Max Spevack||yes||yes||Friday||Sunday, 15:40
|no||yes||Coming from Bern (Puzzle ITC) talk on Thursday.|
|3||Fabian Affolter||yes||no||Friday, 22:00 latest||after end||no||yes||Arrives late on Friday because of UAS.|
|4||Gerold Kassube||no||maybe not||Lives in the area|
|5||Henrik Heigl||yes||yes||Friday, 18:00 latest||after end||little||a bit|
|6||Peter Reuschlein||yes||yes||Friday, afternoon||after end||no||yes|
|7||Marco Ziesing||yes||yes||Friday, afternoon||after end||no||no|
|8||Jens Kuehnel||yes||yes||Friday, guested 19:00
|Sunday, after the end
|9||Jeroen van Meeuwen||yes||yes||Friday, 14:40||Sunday, 15:40
|10||Joerg Simon||yes||yes||Friday afternoon||Sunday, 10:00||yes||yes|
|11||Francesco Crippa||yes||yes||Friday, maybe 21:30||???||???||???|
|12||Gianluca Varisco||yes||yes||Friday, maybe 21:30||???||no||yes||Details on Arrival and Departure will follow|
|13||Thomas Woerner||yes||yes||Friday afternoon||Sunday 10:00 or later||rarely||yes|
|15||Simon Wesp||yes||yes||Friday, 08:37
|no||yes||Details on Arrival and Departure will follow|
|17||Luca Foppiano||yes||yes||Friday, maybe 21:30||???||no||yes|
|18||AndreasRau||no||yes||Lives in the area|
|19||Francesco Ugolini||yes||yes||Fri, 15.30
|20||Felix Kaechele||yes||yes||Fri, 16:47
early in the morning
|after the end||???||???||Member: Board of Linuxtag e.V.|
- 20 ambassadors attend
- 1 special VIP
- 19 attendees need a bed
Feel free to add important topics to the tasklist. But keep in mind, that we're limited in time!
- CAcert Assurances: Henrik Heigl will bring CAP-Forms.
We'll organize two small (1-1.5h) fun events for everyone. Both will include fresh air, which we'll surely need after sitting in that work room nearly all weekend long.
We've been asked if there'll be room in the schedule for everyone to go to the city and do some sightseeing. Of course there will! Actually one fun event will include a tour through the city of Basel which should cover that wish. The tour will be guided and in English. It will take place regardless of the weather, so please bring appropriate clothing with you.
The other fun event is...a surprise! We're sure you'll like it. If you have clothing for the city tour, you'll be fine here.
Ideas provided (but mostly ignored) were:
- Augusta Raurica (old Roman city) -- red
- Feldschloesschen Brewery, which is inside a very nice castle -- red
- Eat some local food speciality on Saturday for dinner -- GeroldKa / red
- Visit of the St. Jakob-Park station -- fab
- Make a Birsig tour -- fab
- Make one of the city tours -- fab
- Visit the Zoo or the Port of Basel -- fab
- Make the official city tour with Basel Tourismus -- red
Maybe it will be time to hold some short workshops. If there will be no time its an "pool of ideas" what can be made at future Events or meetings.
- howto organize events --wonderer
- package building --???
- $2000 (~ CHF 2'200) out of the Fedora Ambassadors budget. As we get closer to the end of FY08's Q3, this number may go up if other events didn't spend all their budget.
- Fedora EMEA e.V. indicated that they might help with several hundred EUR if needed and asked for.
- FUDCon might not need all of its separate budget. Max is trying to save $1000 which would go to the FAD.
- Puzzle ITC has been asked for some financial sponsorship by Sandro and they decided to help us with generous CHF 500.-, isn't that great? Thank you guys!
- Puzzle ITC, well known for their SourceForge-mirror, is a small Swiss company focused Java software development and Linux-based solutions for their customers. They are showing commitment to the open source philosophy over years already. They are member of the ODF Alliance, the Eclipse Foundation and the Swiss Open Systems User Group (/ch/open). In the past, they've organized an Ubuntu Release Party and a Linux Install Zone at the OpenExpo in Berne. They do too much for the open source community to list it all here!
Right now, we have CHF ~2'700 to spend for the FAD.
Budget will be used in the following order (as far as it reaches):
- Work room - The University of Basel provides us with a free work room!
- Accommodation - CHF 2'340.-
- City-Tax - CHF 121.60
- Ticket for the public transport for the whole stay - The hotel offers us free tickets (for the 19 attendees staying there)
- Coffee and water for the work room - TBD
- Dinner at Saturday night - CHF 561.- (nothing to drink included in price)
- Fun events
- City tour on Saturday afternoon - CHF 125.50
- Surprise on Sunday morning - CHF 150.-
- Dinner at Friday night - TBD (probably not covered)
Total to: CHF 3'298.10 (yet).
The tickets for the public transport will cover your travels from the airport or train station to the hotel and back as well as all travel we'll make during the FAD (we'll mostly walk the short distances, though).
We currently think that the total costs for all but lunch will be CHF ~4200.- tops (the beer and drinks you consume not included).
|P.R.: Do we have to exchange EUR to CHF or can we also pay with €?||S.M.: You probably could pay in many places in Basel with EUR, but normally have a worse exchange rate as at a bank. This is only a guess and I'll try to get a more accurate answer well before the event.|
|H.H.: where are near Stores for electronic stuff if somebody need some additional stuff?||S.M.: You shouldn't need to get something. But if you do, there's a Inter Discount XXL-store nearby (map). There's also a MediaMarkt within the 'Basel SBB' train station.|
|H.H.: will there be time (maybe 1-2h) for sightseeing?||S.M.: The Schedule lets me think there is (read "Sightseeing in Basel City"). Even though it's only a draft for now. There might be some time around lunch and dinner, anyway. You're also free to use your sleep time for such things, of course... ;)|
|H.H.: where should people exchange EUR to CHR? Are at the Campus banks or so?||S.M.: Banks are closed on Friday evenings (17.00 and later, usually), Saturdays and Sundays in Switzerland. There's many cash dispensers around (map showing our hotel and all cash dispensers around). There should be a exchange office in the 'Basel SBB' train station that might be open on Saturday and Sunday, too. Your bank might charge you some EUR if you're getting money in Switzerland, though - might be better to get some CHF at home already.|
|H.H.: Where are the Hotel and where is the "Workroom"? Are there maybe a google map available?||S.M.: Hotel: Accommodation. The working room is at the nearby University of Basel. It's not yet fixed in which part of the University exactly. It'll be between 100m and 600m away from our hotel (on the roads, not beeline).|
|S.W.: Is all the food suitable for vegetarians?||S.M.: Yes! For all but Saturday's dinner, you're free to choice yourself what you want to eat, anyway. Saturday's dinner will be a Swiss national dish (what exactly? surprise!) but I can guarantee, that it will be suitable for vegetarians, too.|
|G.K.: Power plugs/sockets in Switzerland?|
S.M.: This is only partly true, actually. If you have an European 2-pin plug (i.e. an Europlug), you don't need an adapter. If you have a 3-pin plug, a British plug or a plug with 2 pins and additional clips (e.g. the Type E or F used in France and Germany), you need an adapter to use the Type J used in Switzerland.