HACKMIT Hackathon, 2016
- Saturday, September 17th and Sunday, September 18th, 2016
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
- Google Maps: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Air to Boston Local Airport (BOS)
HACKMIT is an annual hackathon event at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where students from around the country flock to RIT for a weekend of programming and contest. They create things, solve practical problems, compete for prizes, and interact with sponsors. Historically, HACKMIT hosts close to 1,000 or more students each year.
Google's definition of a hackathon: An event, typically lasting several days, in which a large number of people meet to engage in collaborative computer programming.
Why attend this event? MIT is one of the most well-known technical institutions in the US. At this event, there are possibly more than a thousand students from around the country who are passionate and interested in programming or development. This is a great opportunity for Fedora to make an impact at a university level, following along with the University Involvement Initiative set forth by the Fedora Council.
Deadline to confirm participation: [ Summer 2016 ]
- Create a Google Drive form for the event to get students interested in Fedora to add their information in
The schedule has not yet been released.
Ideas / Brainstorming
- Sponsorship information coming soon
- Red Hat (a la spot) has offered Fedora the opportunity to tag along with Red Hat, who plans on sponsoring the event as well.
- Mentors welcome and encouraged (if you can code, there are ways for you to help represent Fedora as a knowledgeable programmer)
- Swag to give out: pens, stickers, media?
- In the event box
- Ideas to specifically appeal to college students to open source / Linux / Fedora?
Not applicable for HACKMIT 2016.
|Sponsorship||$0||Booth-sharing with Red Hat|
|Shipping costs||~$50||Covers shipping of event box to MIT and back|
|Prize funds||$0||Not applicable|
|Swag, media, flyers||~$30||Printing "Fedora <3 Python" flyers?|
|Travel subsidies||$350 (flight + hotel for one)||Checked from ROC => BOS|
Travel Subsidy Requests
- jflory7: $350 (air + hotel)