- 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue 261
- 1.1 Announcements
- 1.1.1 Fedora Announcement News
- 1.1.2 Fedora Development News
- 1.1.3 Fedora Events
- 1.2 Fedora In the News
- 1.3 Ambassadors
- 1.4 Security Advisories
- 1.1 Announcements
Fedora Weekly News Issue 261
Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 261 for the week ending February 2, 2011. What follows are some highlights from this issue.
In announcements this week, details on this week's first Gnome 3 Test Day and an invitation to participate! One German article from Fedora In the News this week on Linus Torvalds and Fedora, and in news from the Ambassadors team, a new Ambassador from Taiwan, and a summary of discussions on the team and FAmSCo lists. In Security Advisories, we keep you current with the latest security related patches released in the last week.
Do you create articles or write about Fedora in a language other than English that you'd like to share with Fedora Weekly News? Although the primary language of FWN is English, we'd like to have the News reflect the global diversity that is the Fedora Project. Join us and begin contributing your weekly, monthly, or even irregular content about Fedora!
An audio version of some issues of FWN - FAWN - are available! You can listen to existing issues on the Internet Archive. If anyone is interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!
If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see our 'join' page. We welcome reader feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam
Fedora Announcement News
The announcement list is always exclusive for the Fedora Community. Please, visit the past announcements at
Want to get to FUDCon Tempe on time? Take a Tour!
Clint Savage on Sat Jan 29 08:13:52 UTC 2011 announced,
"If you are coming to FUDCon Tempe and have never been to the ASU campus, we don’t want you to get lost. Let the FUDCon tour guides help you out on your way over to the barcamp pitches tomorrow morning.
Every 10 minutes, starting at 7:45am, meet in the lobby of the Courtyard Marriott. You will be directed on a walking tour as we head toward the Center for Design North (CDN), also known as the Architecture and Environmental Design Building (AED).
On the tour
you will see the following items:
- A short tour of Mill Avenue, with restaurants and pubs
- The Brickyard Artisan Court (where the Barcamp sessions will be held)
- The Center for Design North (where the Barcamp pitches will be held)
In addition to all this, you’ll be on time to the barcamp pitches! But don’t miss out, the last tour will begin at 8:45 so we can all get there before 9am.
If you don’t get the tour, you can still make it on your own. Here’s a map with information to make it simple and straightforward. It’s a google map and works well by searching for the url right in your maps program on a smart phone."
Fedora Development News
The development list is intended to be a LOW TRAFFIC announce-only list for Fedora development.
Acceptable Types of Announcements
- Policy or process changes that affect developers.
- Infrastructure changes that affect developers.
- Tools changes that affect developers.
- Schedule changes
- Freeze reminders
Unacceptable Types of Announcements
- Periodic automated reports (violates the INFREQUENT rule)
- Anything else not mentioned above
Fedora GNOME 3 Test Day #1 coming up tomorrow
Adam Williamson on Wed Feb 2 18:58:27 UTC 2011 announced
"QA and Desktop teams are running three Test Days to test out GNOME 3 ahead of F15 (and GNOME 3.0) releases, and the first is tomorrow!
Please come along and help test - there will be live images so you won't need a Rawhide installation, the testing will be easy, and you don't have to do every single test - you can help out even with ten or fifteen minutes (plus the time to download and burn an image). Please note that right now the wiki page is in considerable flux - I have to write a whole bunch of test cases which aren't up there yet - and desktop team are in the middle of trying to land GNOME 2.91.6 in Rawhide, so please hold off on testing for now, we should have everything in order by tomorrow morning. If you're busy tomorrow, you can certainly come by and do the tests later - all you'll miss is the IRC communication, but you can do all the testing based on the Wiki page. IRC channel is #fedora-test-day on Freenode. Please grab me if you have any questions or suggestions! Thanks everyone."
Fedora events are the exclusive and source of marketing, learning and meeting all the fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!
Upcoming Events (Dec 2010 - Feb 2011)
- North America (NA)
- Central & South America (LATAM): 
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
- India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)
Archive of Past Fedora Events
- Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
- Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
- Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by community members.
- Organization -- event organization, budget information, and regional responsibility.
- Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
- LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.
Fedora In the News
In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
Linus Torvalds: Viel Lob für Ubuntu, Kritik an Debian (Der Standard)
Henrik Heigl forwarded a German language posting about Linus Torvalds and Fedora:
"Trotz alle der positiven Worte für Ubuntu - für Torvalds selbst ist Ubuntu keine Alternative. Als Kernel-Entwickler habe man recht spezifische Anforderungen, die Ubuntu nicht erfüllen kann, aber das ist auch ok, er sei eben nicht die Zielgruppe. Bereits in der Vergangenheit hatte Torvalds immer wieder betont, dass er selbst Fedora zum Einsatz bringt."
The full article is available
This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project.
Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
Welcome New Ambassadors
This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a new member joining.
Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
Nicu Buculei proposed a photowalk during FOSDEM  and requested interested participants to get in touch with him.
Summary of events reported on Ambassadors mailing list
Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
Gerard Braad expressed concern  over two FAmSCo-APAC tickets   which had to be closed with WONTFIX due to slipping of time. Caius Chance added  some additional questions around the fund approval process. Larry Cafiero informed  the specific item was a point of discussion with Max Spevack during FUDCon and would report back post the discussion.
Gerard Braad suggested  more participation on the Mentors mailing list and that this be added to the agenda of the next meeting. Pierros Papadeas clarified  about this list being not specifically aimed at Ambassador Mentors
In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce from the past week.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
Fedora 14 Security Advisories
- bugzilla-3.6.4-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053665.html
- wireshark-1.4.3-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053650.html
- dhcp-4.2.0-19.P2.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053644.html
- perl-CGI-3.51-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053628.html
- perl-CGI-Simple-1.113-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053591.html
- proftpd-1.3.3d-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053540.html
- chm2pdf-0.9.1-9.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053510.html
- hplip-3.10.9-14.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053474.html
- myproxy-5.3-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053461.html
Fedora 13 Security Advisories
- bugzilla-3.4.10-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053678.html
- wireshark-1.2.14-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-February/053669.html
- perl-CGI-3.51-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053601.html
- perl-CGI-Simple-1.113-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053576.html
- proftpd-1.3.3d-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053537.html
- chm2pdf-0.9.1-8.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053501.html
- myproxy-5.3-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053473.html
- hplip-3.10.9-14.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-January/053472.html