BrickHack Hackathon, 2017
- Saturday, February 11th and Sunday, February 12th, 2017
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- 1 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623-5603
- Google Maps: Rochester Institute of Technology
- Air to Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC)
BrickHack is an annual hackathon event at the Rochester Institute of Technology, where students from around the country flock to RIT for a weekend of programming and contest. They create things, solve practical problems, compete for prizes, and interact with sponsors. Last year, there was close to 500 people in attendance.
As demonstrated in the event report, the impact and presence we had at BrickHack was an engaging and interactive experience. A Fedora presence was clearly noted and stuck out at this event because of the amount of sponsors (that is, there are far fewer here than at an event like HackMIT, allowing us to have more personal experiences with more people).
Google's definition of a hackathon: An event, typically lasting several days, in which a large number of people meet to engage in collaborative computer programming.
Why attend this event? RIT is a school known for its participation in open source and is one of the only schools in the country to have a Free and Open Source Software minor. At this event, there will likely be more than five hundred students from around the country who are passionate and interested in programming or development. We would like to help organize and sponsor the open source category, giving students a chance to either become more exposed to open source software or share their enthusiasm with others. This is a great opportunity for Fedora to make an impact at a university level, following along with the University Involvement Initiative set forth by the Fedora Council.
Justin W. Flory is a student at RIT and can help support the event coordination and planning (but will not be able to attend the actual event).
Local Fedorans from last year to follow up with
Deadline to confirm participation: 2016-01-26
- Remember to create this for 2017 (things like a Google Drive form would have helped)
An event schedule has not yet been published. Check back soon!
February 11 - Saturday
February 12 - Sunday
Ideas / Brainstorming
- Sponsorship booklet
- Part of deal includes being the sponsor of the Open Source category at the event
- Mentors welcome and encouraged (if you can code, there are ways for you to help represent Fedora as a knowledgeable programmer)
- Working on coordinating an open source category again would be helpful and useful
- Would Red Hat be interested in sponsoring this event with Fedora?
- Sponsorship at $600 USD
- Table / booth in the main space
- Self-introduction at event kick-off
- Tech talk opportunity to explore open source with attendees
- Fedora provides at least 3 on-site mentors to assist students in the open source category
- Fedora supplies prize(s) for open source category
- Open Source category prize branded as BrickHack category, with Fedora judging / presenting it
|Sponsorship||$600||Trac Ticket, 2017 Sponsorship Info|
|Shipping costs||~$30||Estimated costs based from last year's cost|
|Prize funds||TBD||Would be for prizes related to the Open Source category|
|Swag, media, flyers||TBD|
Travel Subsidy Requests
For now, see last year's event report: