|Fedora Test Days|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on new features in GNOME 3.14. Read more
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Elad Alfassa
- Quality Assurance - Vladimír Beneš (vbenes), Vita Humpa (vhumpa), Vadim Rutkovsky (vrutkovs), Adam Williamson (adamw)
Prerequisite for Test Day
- bootable USB key or CD/DVD disk with latest Fedora 21 live image or:
- machine or VM with updated Fedora 21
- When booting in a KVM/libvirt virtual machine, networking may well not work: this is bug #811967, see comments #14 and #15 for workarounds
- Wayland session is not available by default: install it via 'sudo dnf install gnome-session-wayland-session'
- Default user doesn't have session switcher by default: autologin should be disabled and password should be set bug #1134438
- It seems that wayland session is not working in VM even though you can see thumbnail in boxes for example
- Timezone selection page in initial setup is too tall for many screens: GNOME #735534
How to test?
This Test Day has two parts. First part is covered by test cases and it's focused on testing new functionality in both X and Wayland sessions. Second is exploratory testing when you are free to use software how do you like. Don't worry and try to break GNOME in various ways which you expect to work.
We expect results from various types of environments like live images, classical installations, bare metal, any VM type, low resources HW, etc.
Update your machine
If you're running Fedora 21, make sure you have all the current updates for it installed, using the update manager.
The live images are suitable for writing to a USB stick or to a DVD media. They can be used for installing Fedora from scratch, and may also be used to test Fedora directly from the USB stick / DVD media without writing anything to your hard drive. More information on how to use the images is available at FedoraLiveCD.
ARM disk image
If you have an ARM system with accelerated graphics or sufficient power to handle software acceleration, and a reasonable amount of RAM, you can try the ARM image, SHA256SUM FIXME. The ARM wiki space has deployment instructions for various supported platforms.
Testing and reporting results
The testing page provides a list of the tests to run, and lets you report your results. Clicking on a test name will show you the instructions for doing that test, and clicking 'Enter result' will let you enter your result for that test. For the Hardware name, please enter the model number for your graphics adapter as precisely as you can. You can use the
lspci -nn command to provide the PCI ID, if you are comfortable doing so.
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to GNOME Bugzilla for the appropriate component. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you.
List of Test Cases
- Control Center
|User||Wayland Session||Initial Setup||Gesture Support||Shell Restart||Captive Portal||References|
|User||Sharing and Firewall||Date and Time||Online accounts||References|
- ↑ tested with external monitor Asus T232HL on X session: 1) TAP - ok 2) Press And Hold - ok 3) Drag - ok 4) Pinch and stretch - Maps:no, Photos:no, EOG: yesss 5) Double Tap: no 6) Flick: no 7) Edge drag: no, Top Left: yes 8) 3+ finger pinch: no 9) Finger Drag: yes 10) Findger hold + tap: no
- ↑ tested with external asus transformer book tx300ca on X session: 1) TAP - ok 2) Press And Hold - ok 3) Drag - ok and the rest is not working.
- ↑ Initial setup does not run after a fresh install (that creates a user) on either Live Image. Does work when no user created during installation (see previous result).
- ↑ Testcase might need updated - screen doesn't turn black when an app is running (there's a dialog saying "Restarting"). Works as I would expect, otherwise.
- ↑ All of the apps were closed (I had firefox and hexchat open when I restarted the shell), and upon re-opening them, the default font size has changed.
- ↑ Login worked. Most apps seem okay. Two issues: 1) Cannot rotate my external monitor 2) GDK_BACKEND=x11 gedit takes the whole session down if you edit text and then click on close without saving I get "traps: gnome-shell trap int3 ip:362ec50c70 sp:7fff8f14f260 error:0". abrt did not produce a backtrace
- ↑ Screen did not turn black, only a box saying "Restarting". I am not sure if it did restart. Also the ps command does not show any difference before and after the restart.
- ↑ Test passes, but windows that were locked to the left and right of the screen are no longer locked there. Maximized windows remain maximized. Windows on the current workspace are not restored to their previous relative locations (windows that were behind others are sometimes on top after a restart).
- ↑ Cannot rename liveCD RHBZ #1135422, incorrect poweroff of livecd in multiple windows mode RHBZ #1135443, hang when renaming spice box RHBZ #1135458, cannot import system broker machine RHBZ #1136038, cannot detach system broker machine RHBZ #1136044, boxes crashing when connecting to password secured vino server RHBZ #1136229, boxes says pause but performs save RHBZ #1136762, no sign of saved box RHBZ #1136781
- ↑ Click "Let's go shopping", then G-Software can't list any apps, it's unable to find any. Software sources list is empty. After I added Rawhide RPMFusion it's displayed there but not the stock repos (not sure if expected). Still, can't find any apps, when I search for apps none is found. Can't check updates. Doesn't display any of the built-in apps, but displays the RPMFusion repo installers.
- ↑ Whole window could be less wide in financial mode, especially in non-English locale. I guess that all buttons have equal width which is taken from the longest label.
- ↑ I can able to install update and able to list all, installed, updates application. But I cant able to remove the application which I had installed.
- ↑ Really slow, and then I had to stop and restart tracker because it made my CPU go up to 91C! After that, music said I had nothing in ~/Music. May work after tracker finishes running.
- ↑ application, if it even launches successfully, is generally crash-prone and at one point even brought down the whole session for whatever reason. abrt crashed while reporting one of the maps crashes (...)